Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Post-Surgery Preamble


I’m home from surgery already.  I can’t believe how quickly time marches by, but it does. It marches on and on and then you turn and look back to see what you’ve done.  Over six months ago, I was at a New Year’s Eve party thinking over the tiniest possibility of having the gastric sleeve, and now here I am.  I just had one.

But it wasn’t all easy.

As when Leslie had her knee replacement, there are some things they just don’t tell you going into this sort of procedure.  Parts of it were really difficult.

Here are some of the highlights, as I experienced them:
  • As usual, it was difficult to find any vein to use for an I.V.  This time the anesthesiologist herself did it. I have veins like my grandmother (RIP), and after taking no liquids for over 6 hours as pre-surgery prep, they were thoroughly and effectively in hiding.
  • When I first woke up in recovery, it hurt.  It really hurt.
  • The first time I tried to swallow something, anything, even the tiniest sip, I erp’d it back up.  And because my stomach was much, much smaller, fortunately that experience has become much, much easier.
  • When I finally could swallow something, I could feel that tiny bit plop into my stomach like a small ball of flame. They call it a belly blast. Luckily, the sensation went away after a day.
  • I’m not a fan of morphine. It’s a good medicine, but it gave me really awful dreams about people I love. Gross. I couldn’t wait to get off it.
  • I’ve lost almost ten pounds being in the hospital, putting me below 300 pounds for the first time in years. Yay! This is a benchmark for me!
  • The nurses in the hospital at Mills Peninsula, with one notable exception (there’s always one), were great.  Given they are in the middle of a strike, I felt like I was in good hands the entire time I was there.
  • When I was released, I was ready to go. No sooner.
  • Last night, the third night after surgery, I was hungry. Sucking on a piece of watermelon was heaven.
  • I’m supposed to drink lots of water and a protein supplement called Isopure. It tastes like a very light juice, and at $11.00 for a six-pack, it’s good stuff. 
  • For dinner last night, Leslie made me a heavenly consomme’.  Six teaspoons was all I could handle.
  • This morning for breakfast we dined on cream of wheat, and it was divine. I had eight teaspoons this time!
  • My total weight loss is twenty seven pounds.

The irony in all this is that prior to my procedure, my stomach was the center of my life. It still is, but in a totally different way.

7 comments:

Christiana Gaudet said...

This is terrific. I just read for a client this morning who has gotten the sleeve - she is doing very well.

Congratulations on this important step. I am sure your results will be excellent.

Jane said...

I am so excited for you, Donna! Wishing you a wonderful, healthy recovery and can't wait to hear more about your journey as it goes on.

Donna L. Faber said...

Thanks, guys ... this was a big deal, and I'm very excited by and large. I'll be glad when I can swallow more. Funny this is my nose works just fine and sends all these delicious signals to the brain. It's the stomach that can't handle it. Wierd.

Tracey said...

I'm so glad to hear that it went so well for you, Donna! 27 pounds already! Geez! Keep on truckin', a little at a time! Much love to you and yours!

Donna L. Faber said...

Thanks so much, Tracey. I appreciate your support big time!

Tarot By Arwen said...

How marvelous, Donna! I have a dear friend (two actually) who has done this. She made some mini meatloaves in a mini muffin tin. Freezable and very tasty! Good luck on your journey to your new outer you!

Donna L. Faber said...

Thanks so much, Arwen ... it's quite a wonderful adventure. Tuff some times, rewarding always. But the group's support means so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...