Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Radio Dweeb


Hello. My name is Donna Faber, and I’m a radio dweeb.

I admit it.

My partner (the love of my life whom I adore) Leslie is a radio dweeb, too. We both derive great pleasure from hearing our own voices on the radio, and so to satisfy this craving, we call in … frequently.

Leslie has been a radio dweeb for some time. She listens to Newstalk Radio 810 practically every day, and is up on the latest current events because of it. She really digs Ronn Owens, his debates and comments, and calls in with her own opinions now and again. Both of us love Len Tillum, who gives legal advice on the radio. He’s very informative and hashes over pertinent topics like “what happens if you rent a house from someone and then it goes into foreclosure.” It’s good stuff.

Now that the price of gas has gone down, I enjoy the luxury of a nice car ride into the city to work each day. It beats taking BART, which isn’t so bad really, although the cost adds up quickly, as well. We leave the house usually around 7:45 a.m., drop off Elizabeth first, and then I’m typically in the office by 9:00 a.m. During the ride, we listen to 101.3 on the radio, which is K101. Don Bleu does the morning show. He plays pranks on people called “Bloopers”, and they are absolutely hysterical. I mean, laughter is a great way to start your day, and this guy has no shortage of it. Anyway, this morning he talked about television shows that you enjoy so much you watch reruns of it. Like, a show that you dig so profoundly, you would plop your ass on the couch and watch it no matter when you ran into it. “Seinfeld” is one of those, and “Mash”, and “Leave it to Beaver”, and definitely “I Love Lucy”. Well, I called in and rattled on about my love of “Roseanne” (the first three seasons are the best, hands down), and then Leslie called in and was going on about Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm”. And we both got on the radio! Okay, it was slightly edited, but man, we were there enjoying our 30 seconds of fame in San Francisco. High five, baby! Right on! We were so thrilled!

Thereafter, I got into work, took a conference call I was scheduled for, and then it dawned on me.

I’m one of those people. One of those people who calls in to radio shows.

Hey, at least we have cell phones now. Otherwise, we’d be pulling over to add our personal commentary.

(sigh)

I’m a radio dweeb.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. geez. I called into our local station on Monday to voice my opinion about some stupid thing. Shortly after that I got text from one of my daughters asking me if I was just on the radio! Her buddies had heard me and told them about it. I'm practically a rock star now.

Donna L. Faber said...

Yes ... well then, I have to tell ya ... you're a dweeb, too.

D~

Anonymous said...

I have a friend in Australia who listens to particular radio stations and calls in so often, she has gained the repuation of "Tricia from Torquay." She regularly wins contests and free give aways. She is convinced her guardian angels assist her. She also has a technique for dialing in when callers are invited to contact the commentator. It appears to really work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...